Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Weekend in the Mountains Part V -- The Cabin

I think (but I am not certain) that the trend in Norway is to build bigger and bigger cabins with more and more amenities until they are indistinguishable from the city houses.  I am against the trend, it it does, in fact, exist.  I like the traditional Norwegian little log cabin with a woodstove for heat, iron candleabra chandeliers and propane cooking stoves.  And so, I really like Thor Gunnar/Ann Kristin's cabin.  I must confess, though, that, although it is a modern convenience, I really like the solar electrical energy system at the cabin.  They have installed low voltage lamps throughout, including converted oil lamps (they look like old-fashioned oil lamps, but they are electrical).  The following photos give you an idea of the ambience of the cabin.

SUMMER

WINTER

Note the disappearance of the deck under four feet of snow!  But, inside, the cabin is warm and cozy:

Taken without flash.  Real candles above the table.



Traditional Cabinet



Plenty of hot water for washing dishes



Inside the woodstove






Fireplace next to woodstove oven with hot water cooking on top


Converted oil lamp to low voltage light

Woodstove

Candles!


Traditional "corner"

kitchen cabinet
The cabin is especially cozy when looking through the windows at the snowscape:



When there is so much snow on the roof, it is a good idea to clear some of it off.  Thor Gunnar and Amanda worked hard to rid the roof of a lot of snow.  Tove pitched in, starting to clear the snow-covered deck.




Next Post:  The trip home.  We buy potatoes.

No comments: