Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Coffee at Uncle Einar's and Aunt Gerd's

Sunday we visited Tove's aunt and uncle.  We were invited for coffee.  Tove's mom, Kitty, was also invited, so on our way to the city center we stopped and picked her up.  Gerd is Kitty's sister.  Gerd and her husband, Einar, live in a small, but comfortable apartment condo for seniors.  They are very sweet and kind people.  Gerd and Kitty's brother, Willy, was there for coffee, too.  He's in his mid-70s and a world-class seniors athlete.  His sport -- ice skating.  He's been to Calgary twice for competitions and will go to Holland and Germany this year to compete.  Very interesting guy.  He was a ship's captain for decades and has travelled all over the world.  I enjoy his company very much.

Coffee began with delicious brewed coffee and CAKES!  At least 3.  One cake, called the "World's Best Cake" (literally translated from Norwegian), was delicious.  Aunt Gerd baked it.  Here's the recipe from the following web page: 
* * *
http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/2157147-kvaefjord-verdens-beste-kake-also-known-as-world-s-best-cake-
Ingredients:(printable recipe)

1 stick and 2 tsp of butter
2/3 cup sugar, plus 1 cup for merengue
4 extra large eggs (separate the yolks from the whites)
3 Tbsp milk (or substitute half & half)
1 cup of flour
1 tsp of vanilla extract or vanilla sugar.
2 Tsp baking powder
4 oz of split almonds

Vanilla Pudding
1 cup whipped cream

Start off by making the filling:
I had the advantage of Norwegian family sending me packages of Kakefyll, which is a pudding type filling, but you can substitute vanilla pudding with 1 1/2 cups of milk and chill. In a separate bowl, whip 1 cup of whipped cream and fold into chilled pudding recipe.


Prepare Dough:
Beat butter and 2/3 sugar together, then add egg yolk one at a time.
Add milk, flour, vanilla and baking powder, beat to make dough

Spray or butter oblong baking pan using  parchment paper to cover the bottom. I used a 9x12 inch pan.
Spread the dough on the paper, in one thin layer.





Prepare merengue: Whip the four egg whites until stiff, beating in remaining 1 cup of sugar. Spread eggwhites on dough




Sprinkle Almonds on top of merengue mixture when finished spreading

Bake in 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, let cake cool, cut into two equal pieces. Add cream filling on one side of cake, add second part of cake almond side up on top of filling.
* * *
After several pieces of cake and numerous cups of coffee, we enjoyed an apricot liquer, and some fresh red grapes.  THEN, pepsi and salty snacks (like potato chips, etc.).  While we were eating and drinking we talked about everything from TV shows to ovens and electricity bills.  It was all in Norwegian, which really helps me to learn.  I think I understand a little more than half of what is said, so I feel like I'm getting better day by day. 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

aw man....i have so much catching up to do. you snuck in so many posts!! can't believe you were placed in the "advanced" class so soon into your residency there.

champ.

Frank said...

You do have a lot of catching up to do, young lady. As for advanced class, I lived in Norway for 15 months in the early 70s and was, according to my Norwegian friends, almost fluent back then. So some of the language has come back. But it frustrates me, actually, that it is not coming back as fast as I would like.