| Flowers abound everywhere! |
| Victorian Architecture amid steel and glass |
| Underneath the Victoria building -- shops and this Starbuckian Coffee House |
| My Breakfast: Coffe and a Cinnamon Roll |
It was a beautiful day in Oslo. According to Google Maps it is a 1.7km, 22 minute walk from the train station to the American Embassy. The walking route goes along Karl Johans Gate, Oslo's main street that goes past the Norwegian Parliament (Storting), the National Theater and ends at the Royal residence which is surrounded by a beautiful city park.
![]() |
| The Royal Residence |
| Fountain Near the National Theatre |
| Karl Johans Gate |
I approached the visitor's gate and rang the bell. A guard came out and asked what I needed. I told him. He told me I could not come in with my backpack. He was very gracious and almost apologetic. He suggested that I take it to t he 7-11 store about 100 meters away. They store backpacks for 25 kroner ($4.50) and apparently do a very good business!
So, after dropping off my backpack at the 7-11 I came back and went through security that was similar to airport security. Once inside the consular staff were pleasant and helpful. It only took a few minutes to get my affidavit stating I was free to marry in Norway. It cost $50.
After the embassy appointment I walked around the park and then went back toward the train station. The station is close to the harbor. It was a very nice day so I decided to walk down to the harbor just to see the view.
| Sir Winston's Pub, Karl Johan's Gate |
| Wenche Foss, the Grand Dame of Norwegian Theater Died this year |
| The Brand New Opera House on the Harbor |
| Strange Sculpture in the harbor and the boat to Copenhagen |
| Ferry Boat to Copenhagen: Great trip by the way. |
| Lots of Refurbishing Going on all around Oslo. |
After lunch I got some sun sitting on the steps of the plaza outside of the train station. Many were doing the same. It was fun to people watch. The beggars (mostly East European illegal immigrants) were trying to solicit anyone who would make eye contact with them. Advice to beggars in Norway: Concentrate on professional single women under 30 years old. They are the only demographic I have seen throw any money into your cups. Advice to Norwegian parliament: Make panhandling illegal, or regulate the panhandlers -- require beggars to get licenses. Norway has a very generous safety net, low unemployment and great social services. The only reason for begging in Norway is if you can't qualify for services because you are here illegally. Just my opinion.
Next post: The train ride home.

1 comment:
i'm in the middle of reading your train/oslo posts. love it!
Post a Comment