Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Trondheim Tramway Trip

Every year, sometime in the middle of February, the schools take a one-week "winter break".  At that time of year the sun is higher in the sky, the days are longer and the weather is often starting to improve.  Trondheim used to have an extensive light-rail system (tram system).  Most of the tracks have been taken up, and busses have replaced trams as the main method of public transportation.  One tram line remains: Gråkallbanen.  According to the website, it is the northernmost tram line in the world.  The line is about 5 and a half miles long.  It goes from the center of town up to Lian, in the hills above the city, on the edge of Bymarka, Trondheim's main city forest parkland.   Bymarka is where Tove and I do most of our Sunday "hikes".

I had never taken the Gråkallban tram before this February.  But on February 19, a beautiful, clear, sunny day during winter break, I took it from town to Lian and back.  I wish I had taken Patrick and Devon on this tram ride when they were here a couple of summers ago!

Inside the tram car

Lian stop, the end of the line

It was winter break, so lots of kids went to Lian to play in the snow

Great sledding slopes below Lian Restaurant

This is the trail from the tram to the sledding hill.

The bottom of the sledding hill is on the shore of this frozen lake

These guys were responsible for all of the kids

Bymarka map

The view from the tram on the ride back down

19th Century wooden townhouses along the line.

No comments: