| I needed these beautiful clouds today |
Today, Sunday, I saw our neighbor wave goodbye to her husband and 18 yr. old son as they took off in the family car. I was in the back yard. As our eyes met, she smiled and said, "I'm so glad that he is back!"
"Was he at the island!?" Tove suspected that he was there, as he had gone last year.
"Yes." By this time Tove was in the back yard with me. Tove said, "I thought I saw him on TV this morning on the news when they showed the survivors arriving on the bus in Trondheim!"
"Yes, that was him!"
We went over to her back yard and hugged her. This is the story of her son as best as I can repeat it.
Our neighbor is from Chechnya. She has witnessed terror and war in her homeland (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechnya). So, on friday when the bomb exploded in Oslo, her son called her from the summer camp on the island and told her not watch the TV because he did not want her to relive what she had gone through in Chechnya.
Five minutes later he either called her or sent her a text message (I am unclear on this point, my Norwegian is not good enough) exclaiming that a man was shooting campers on the island. She would not hear from him again for three hours. Those most certainly were the worst three hours of her life. Here, the radio and TV were reporting the shooting taking place on the island, but of course there were no details.
Her son witnessed horror upon horror. He watched several of his friends die. He watched the monster shoot young people in the leg or stomach, then call out to others that he was a police officer, to come out and help him give first aid to the gunshot victim. When several people came out to help, he would kill them all, then kill the first victim, then move on. This happened over and over again.
Our neighbor's son was not one of the survivors who swam away. He said that he couldn't do that, because he was responsible for a group of younger campers. He had to keep the younger ones quiet and he had to keep them from trying to help the wounded when the monster called out for help. The wounded screamed and cried for help, but there was nothing to be done. I started to cry. Tove cried.
As I understand Norwegian law, the maximum sentence for any crime in Norway is twenty-one years. There is no death penalty. So if the monster goes to prison this year to serve his sentence, he will be out when he is 53. That is unspeakably unjust.
7 comments:
Wow Frank, thanks for sharing that story. We feel the pain way out in California, but hearing it first (or second) hand makes it all the more emotional.
just read an article that stated " The maximum jail term in Norway is 21 years, although that can be extended if there is a risk of repeat offences.
'In theory he can be in jail for the rest of his life,' said professor of criminal law at the University of Oslo, Staale Eskeland.
I hope Norway heals while the monster never sees freedom again.
Anonymous, I think I read the same article. My problem is: I don't care if he becomes Mother Theresa in prison and wants to feed the poor and cure the sick. The issue to me is NOT "Is he a threat?" and if so, then he stays in prison. The issue is "does the monster deserve to live a single day unjailed after what he did." I personally don't think he deserves to live at all.
Frank, I thought of you and Tove as soon as I heard of this. To hear of the terror your neighbor experienced is heartbreaking and unbelieveable. I'm so sorry -- for your neighbor, his mother, for your adopted country. - Kate
Nice to hear from you, Kate. Tove and I attended a memorial event in town this evening. I would estimate that 15-18000 attended, in a pouring rain. It was very moving. It will take time, but Norway will heal. The young survivors and the loved ones of those who perished, however, will be scarred forever.
i thought of you guys immediately as well - and of course devs having been there so recently. what an awful turn of events in what seems to be an amazingly lovely country. thanks for sharing the story of your neighbor... how frightening!!!
Norway is an amazingly lovely country. The country will heal in time.
Post a Comment