Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Clear Cold Days / Northern Lights (Nordlys)

We had quite a bit of snow this month and the temperature had been hovering around freezing during all of the snowing, haling and sleeting. Then, about a week ago, the weather cleared and the temperature dropped into the mid-20's. Clear skies day and night. Last Sunday I took a walk in the middle of the day. These photos were all taken between 12:30 P.M. and 2:00 P.M. You can see that the sun is still very low.



Leading from our condo up toward the forest


The forest trail to the "parkland" where we usually walk


I turned left from the forest trail to take a look at one of the nearby neighborhoods


The 1PM sun!


Nearby Neighborhood


Big new houses, small yards.


The neighborhood has a view of the ski jump -- see it?



Looking toward Trondheim and the fjord.  2PM. 

That night had we bothered to look we could have seen the aurora borealis (northern lights or nordlys in Norwegian). 



But we were unaware that there would be conditions for the lights.  Apparently solar flares/eruptions have occurred and they are the biggest in years.  So last night around 10:30 PM, Tove and I went out to see if I could capture the lights with my camera:





1 comment:

devon lorraine ... said...

very cool -- and kind of eerie, too!